Monday, May 2, 2011

to know.

Not much happened on this average Monday, so I wanted to throw a few random things out there that you wouldn't necessarily know about Chile unless you lived the culture for a while. Many times backpackers travel through countries without really getting a feel for the culture. Tourists have their path that they follow, but there is nothing like living in a country for (2 months so far) to fully get to know the way of life. So here are some things to know about Chilean Culture *Cultura Chilena*.

1. Bread or *pan* (pronounced pahn, not pan like something you use to cook) is HUGE! As a tourist/backpacker you eat what you want, most people might eat pan because it is the cheapest thing to buy, but they wouldn't know that this is a huge part of chilean life. Instead of dinner or *la cena* (say-na), Chileans eat *once* (ohn se). Im doing my best to have a pronunciation but I am not pro at that, so just try your best to say these puppies :) For once most chileans will have some tea or coffee (aka nescafe, real coffee would be too strong for them to handle), toasted bread with butter or marmalade *pan tostado con mantaquilla o marmalada*, oh it is so good and addicting.. to quote my brother "people should eat 3 things a day. Breakfast *desayuno*, Lunch *almuerzo*, and *once*."

they love it enough to have a massive mural of it!!

2. My family when it comes to juice uses packets of sugar/juice that they then pour into water. This seems to be the trend for everything...coffee, tea, and juice. I remember one of the first days i got here i was all excited because i saw an apple juice packet. I was expecting the addicting taste of Motts Apple Juice, but what i got was melted Jolly Rancher Apple. Not what i was hoping for. It is too sweet for me, but it will be my quest here to find good juice! they have such fresh fruit, they must have great juice somewhere!

3. Chileans are convinced that if you go outside without the proper attire, you are going to get sick. This may be the case when it comes to the winters of New England, but here... it isn't nearly cold enough to get pneumonia or any other sickness from the "cold". yes, it was a bit chilly today, but with my north face it was fine. This last Saturday night i was at a bbq *asado* and i walked down to meet some friends, and walked back up the hill. Because of this i was hot and took off my jacket. Immediately a chilean told me that it was too cold and that tomorrow i would be dying because i didn't have my jacket on. Clearly, and over exaggeration. (i think this might explain why on my walk home i saw a dog with a neck warmer on). 

4. The mullet is in here, or as they say *chocopanda*. Business in front and a party in back. it is very common to see men here with this style. Also, rat tails and dreds are "in" as well. I noticed them more down in Patagonia, and in my daily life to school and back i mostly travel with the business type (men in business suits) with the classy short hair cut. I am not a fan of this party in the back, or the dreds...

that is it for now, but im sure that I will have things pop in my head throughout the rest of my time here, so i will add them as they come to me. I hope during my travels to Peru, I will be able to know true Peruvian life instead of just the tourist things. (yes.. I am headed to Peru for a couple weeks with Susie after the end of my program!!). July 2nd-July 16th.  New time of arrival back in Boston, MA 2pm July 17th!!

As for now, I am going to read a article about Aztec Human Sacrifice for my presentation on Wednesday. If anything Chilean pops into my head i will be sure to update!!

Have a good day!
*tengas un buen día*

No comments:

Post a Comment