Tuesday, May 3, 2011

a few more things to note...

5. Chileans put everything in the diminutive, aka they put ito at the end of everything, even if it is not small. Examples, they're endless but these are the ones i hear daily...

*Cafecito* or coffee

*Ratito* usually say this when they ask are you going to sleep a little bit? or for a small amount of time. *Vas a dormir un ratitio?*. This always reminds me of a rat, so it is not one of my favorite sayings.

*Besito* Kiss, very common, however yesterday i heard mama vivi say un besito grande, which besito itself would not be a big kiss, so i dont know why she put the ito in there in the first place.

*Futbolito* Soccer, now this one i understand why they put the ito at the end. Because we are not playing a full game of soccer, 11v11. We usually play at most 7v7 and that gets kind of tight, so i get why they make it ito.

*Gonzalito* for Gonzalo, my middle brother (23). used daily in calls down to the man cave.
Gonzalo and I

*Paulito* for Paulo, my youngest brother (18). very common.
small and dark, but here is Paulo and Me in the kitchen



I think the diminutive of my name, we decided one day would be Abito. I just realized that I'm not really quite sure wether to say Gonzalo and Me, or Gonzalo and I...same with Paulo, so i switched it up which means i got at least one of them right....right?


6. This is something that you wouldn't notice until you sit on the metro for at least 40 minutes a day like me. There are basically 2 main backpack providers here in Chile. You have HEAD which is the most common.  The other is Xtreme, but it isn't seen as much as HEAD. This brand is everywhere. they make purses, backpacks, luggage. It is huge. Not that important to know, but it is still something that i have learned during my time here in Chile.
it says "This summer relax your head. Use your head" (backpack). 


7. The last thing that popped into my head is that every Chileno is brunette or *moreno*. Unless they have grey hair, or they dyed it (although many people normally dye it a red), everyone has brown hair. If you see blond hair, you are a foreigner...no doubt about it. On the metro this morning, it was packed in a sea of brown hair, and then i spotted a blondie. I didn't know who she was, but I knew for sure that she was not Chilean. I thought I was going to stand out, but i realized that blonds stand out even more than i do! success.

Now i have a presentation to do on Aztec Human Sacrifice, should be a good one.

Futbolito tonight :)

1 comment:

  1. I can verify this with Nicole who lives downstairs. She seems to add the "ito" to quite a few words and it always throws me off. She's from Mexico.

    ReplyDelete