Monday, April 25, 2011

Easter Weekend.

This weekend, So much happened, and then again not so much.

Thursday began the Semana Santa, which is what they call the religious holiday here. Basically they cancel classes after 1pm on thursday and then after that, most things are closed besides restaurants. Apparently everyone from Santiago comes to Vina del Mar during this weekend.  Thursday started a lovely weekend! I had class at 830 until 945. Not my favorite part of the day, but then i got home and took a nap from 10:30-3pm! I guess i was tired!
Slept a little bit longer than i wanted to, and that left Natalie waiting for me. I was finally ready to get up and leave the house again around 5pm.
and good thing i went back and checked my blog, cause apparently i already wrote about thursday...anyways!!

FRIDAY- well thursday night, we went out to Stingray to celebrate Natalie's birthday. She bought a disposable camera and still has a few pictures to take in order to get it developed, but i have a feeling there are going to be some great pictures on that. I got home from Stingray around 5am, and went to bed. Then friday day i woke up around 1pm and sat outside on the patio. I am a great fan of our patio that is right off the kitchen. One day i will take a picture and show you guys, but pretty much i lay out on this beach lounge chair and soak up the sun which is always so strong that i end up moving to the shade shortly after. and believe it or not i have only gotten one really bad sunburn. I bought a bottle of SPF 50 before i came here, and i still have some left! with only one small bad burn in the middle of my back where i couldn't reach. that's a pretty good record!
Friday night the plan was to go to a cheap pizza place to just have a nice relaxing dinner with some of the girls here. We got to La Gula around 930pm and decided on our pizzas. It was a great deal, one family size pizza plus 2 dollars, you got 4 drinks. So that worked out well because only 4 of us wanted drinks, so we ended up getting 2 family size pizzas, and one of those a special. I can't remember what type of pizzas we ate, but it was lovely.
Unfortunately a few of the girls couldn't make it to pizza because they were sick. Turns out you're not supposed to eat home made chocolate chip cookie dough uncooked. The baking soda and flour here is something that apparently is stronger or something like that. There was baking soda already in the flour? anyways it created great stomach pain for at least 3 gringas.  Yes, i did eat the cookie dough, but i didn't eat as much as these ladies that ended up getting some serious pain from it.
i guess i was lucky. that teaches you...always eat in moderation :)
after we ate pizza we went back to the house of 2 gringas, Abby and Kelly and we sat around talking which was fun.

Saturday- I DID ABSOLUTELY NOTHING! I'm pretty sure i was in bed all day. I have gotten into the habit of waking up around 1pm, which is not ideal, but this was wonderful to sit in bed literally all day. I am catching up on many romantic comedies that i have been wanting to see, and some that i didnt even know existed! I have seen at least 6 romantic comedies in the last week. that's one a day people!
I would also like to share that Mama Vivi bought me Mint Chocolate Chip ice cream. that by itself was amazing, but put that with a romantic comedy and you have one happy Abby :) Arielle (my high school roommate for those of you who don't know) is also a huge fan of rom-coms as she calls them. We have been communicating and helping each other find new movies to watch.
So besides movies, i have finished the book that my mom bought me in the airport. that took 2 months! it was a super good book. I definitely recommend it!!

House Rules by Jodi Picoult


SUNDAY- easter. I woke up early to go to the bathroom and opened my door to a chocolate bunny sitting in the hallway. I have been looking at it and eating the little eggs that had been in the box, but while skyping my mom this evening, she wanted to know if it was hallow...so obviously i had to bite into the ears to find out.
I was pretty sad to be missing all of the family activities that happened at home. The usual family gathering with all my extended family, which usually only happens on holidays. I was able to skype but just a quick hello, not nearly as extensive as i wanted the skype convo to be, but what can you do. I was all bummed about not being in Topsfield, when mama vivi knocked on my door and asked if i was free to come down for lunch. OF COURSE! I love family meals, even if i can only understand 20% of the table conversation. It was great to just be around the table and watch the family interact. I love the family dynamic here.
Then, Paulo came into the living room and did, BEND AND SNAP. which obviously i broke out into laughter because 1. paulo was bending and snapping, and 2. he always comes up with the craziest lines. That was probably the highlight of my day besides skyping my family. So all the Topsfield crew got to watch Baby Gav sing to Alicia Keys, and I got to watch my 18 year old host brother bend and snap. haha oh golly.
After lunch i headed back up to my bed, and i finally started using stumble upon. this is dangerous. I have found so many cool things, and i have definitely loved a few of the pictures that i have seen on here. I checked off weddings as my like, and i have gotten websites on how to do weddings yourself, and wedding photos. I have one engagement photo that i love and has inspired me to continue taking photos and potentially do something like that as a side job.
i love this one. especially the scrabble letters seeing as it is a huge game in my family.

also i found a really cool website from a father who takes pictures of his daughters. He uses photoshop a lot but i still love his pictures. this is one of my favorites.
note justin beiber.

this is his website if you want to look at them. they're adorable.


so that's that. 
today is monday and i got my first take home exam. ahhhh! i have spent today procrastinating. it's a good thing it's not due until thursday morning!

one month until Adam and Michelle are in Chile!!

No comments:

Post a Comment